Monday, August 9, 2010

BURP

I used to never burp. Or if I did belch, I would make sure I was not seen or heard by others. I grew up believing that expelling gas in this way was rude. Then I watched the movie, "The Other Side of Heaven." I learned that in some places burping was actually considered polite.

People burp all the time. A burp (sometimes called a belch or by its medical term, eructation) is the release of gas from the digestive tract (the stomach) through the mouth. It is part of the body natural clearing mechanism for removing excessive gas in the digestive tract. This is caused by eating too fast or eating with our mouths open, which causes us to swallow air. Gas can also be released from food.

I have noticed that since my surgery, I belch more often. I still try to "hide" it and be polite, but more often than not, it is embarrassing and frequent. I'm not proud of my little burps. Although I'm sure my brothers would be proud that I've finally learned how to do it. I'm willing to bet that they would be even more excited if I could burp my ABCs! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment